Water retailer Cambridge Water Business has issued some tips for businesses to help them use less water as part of Water Saving Week 2019.
Organised by Waterwise, Water Saving Week runs from April 29 to May 3, and aims to encourage organisations and individuals to conserve water by making simple changes that will often help save money too.
Reducing consumption will also help firms to comply with environmental legislation and reduce their carbon footprint. In addition to cost-savings from lower bills, businesses investing in sustainable water usage may also be eligible for tax savings through the Enhanced Capital Allowance (ECA).
With climate change and population growth increasing pressure on water resources in the UK, Cambridge Water Business wants to make it easier for businesses of all sizes to use less water. Here are six simple things that firms can do to reduce their water usage:
- Determine where your waste water is going and if it can be recycled in other areas of your business
- A motivated and engaged workforce makes all the difference in changing habits. Use signs or posters to promote a water efficient culture. Make sure that water features in any resource efficiency initiatives already under way in the workplace
- Make sure appliances are energy efficient models so that they use less water
- Some bathrooms may still have turn or lever style taps which can easily be left running if not returned to the off position. If it’s the hot water tap that is left on this wastage will be considerably more because of the energy that has been used to heat the water. An alternative could be a push button tap which delivers a certain amount of water before shutting off
- A water cooler will give employees direct access to cold water rather than having to run a tap until the water is chilled to fill bottles or glasses
- Check your meters at night or when no water is being used to monitor leakage
Cambridge Water Business Director Richard Stanbrook said: “We are experts in helping businesses to use less water so that they save money from their bills and improve their environmental credentials. We would encourage businesses of all sizes to look at their water consumption to see how they can use less of what is a precious resource.”
For more advice on water efficiency give us a call on 0330 041 5566 to find out how we can help your business to use water wisely – and save money on bills.